Am I A Candidate For Hair Restoration in Washington, DC?
Located in Vienna, Younger Image Hair Transplant Clinic is proud to offer hair loss treatment to both men and women in and around Washington, DC, and Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Hair restoration surgery is a proven long-term solution for men and women who have lost their hair. Although the surgery helps patients look and feel better, not everybody is a good candidate. If you are considering hair restoration surgery, here are three tips to help you determine whether or not you would benefit from the procedure:
- What type of hair loss are you experiencing?
Patients experiencing male or female pattern baldness achieve the best results. Androgenic alopecia causes bald spots in specific areas, making it feasible to fill the isolated areas with donor hair. The surgery is difficult to perform on patients who have diffused thinning or balding all over or in multiple areas since a finite amount of donor hair is available to graft to the thinning or balding areas. The hair needs to be used as efficiently as possible to get the outcome you want.
- What other hair loss treatments have you tried?
More hair restoration options are available today than ever before. Lasers, medications, and other treatments are effective for temporary hair loss. Hair restoration surgery should be the last resort after all other attempts to halt your hair loss progression have been exhausted.
- What are your hair restoration goals?
The best way to ensure that you are satisfied with the outcome of your hair restoration surgery is to have realistic expectations. Remember that hair restoration moves hair from one part of your head to another. There is a limit to how much hair is available to move. After the procedure, your hair may not look like it did when you were 15, but it will be age appropriate and natural looking.
If you plan to have multiple minor surgeries to maintain your hair, you should rethink your strategy. After the first surgery, patients risk losing some or a lot of their existing hair from the trauma of the surgical procedure. Hair lost to shock does not regrow. Your hair could end up thinner than it was before the surgery.
The Best Candidates for Hair Replacement
If you live in Washington, DC, the best way to know whether you are eligible for hair replacement surgery is to visit Younger Image Hair Restoration Clinic for a consultation. During your confidential consultation with our hair restoration specialist, you will be evaluated to determine the cause of your hair loss, and how much your hair loss has progressed. We will also review your family history.
When determining whether hair replacement surgery will help you meet your aesthetic goals, several factors are considered including:
- Age and gender – Men aged 40 and up are typically good candidates for hair restoration surgery because they are likely to have genetic hair loss with a baldness pattern that can be corrected. Their hair loss is also likely to have stabilized. Women who exhibit genetic pattern baldness with frontal recession or thinning at the crown are also eligible. Patients who lost hair from trauma, burns, or cosmetic surgery may also benefit.
- Hair density – Your hair restoration surgeon is limited by the amount of hair that is available to transplant. Thick, healthy hair must be available on the back and the sides of the head to serve as donor areas.
- Number of required hair grafts – An overly large bald area may need too many grafts to create a natural look.
- Hair color and texture– Patients with coarse, gray, or blonde hair tend to get more authentic-looking results than those with fine, dark-colored hair. Hair replacement surgery is also harder to perform on patients who have light-colored complexions and dark hair. The grafts have to match the natural hair pattern as closely as possible since there is great disparity between the skin color and hair.
- Rate of hair loss – Hair restoration is only effective when hair loss has ceased. If a patient has surgery before the hair has stabilized, he or she is at risk for losing the hair around the grafts, potentially leaving an uneven hair pattern.
If you live and around Washington, DC, or Gaithersburg, Maryland and you are experiencing hair loss or concerned about possible hair loss, contact Younger Image Hair Restoration Clinic in Vienna today for a consultation.